Wednesday, January 23, 2013

FOOD LOOKS SO AMAZING AND YUMMY


I was just watching Son Number Two (also 13) make his dinner. He nuked two veggie "chicken" patties. While they were heating, he pulled out four pieces of whole wheat bread, slathered the bread with vegenaisse, sliced some dill pickles and put them on, then swirled a little mustard on. Then he added some nice crunchy green leaves and then put on the heated patties.

I watched open-eyed, almost salivating. It looked like a miracle, that yumminess, and I thanked God that He made it so FOOD TASTES GOOD, so satiation is a pleasure to taste, to eyes, to noses. The process of working in the kitchen (especially with others), of gathering your ingredients, building your meal, knowing it is going to nourish you, and then sitting down with it and enjoying the heck out of it, is one of the miracles of life.

I've never seen it quite this way before, because I have always taken food for granted and just hey if you want food go have it it's there this is America don't you know. You know? But today, I'm not eating, just sucking rather continuously on my water bottles full of clear green liquid micronutrients, and I look and see what a miracle it is....to eat.

I want to be more deliberate about that in the future: to give it some thought. They call it "mindful eating." I'm going to try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment